Wednesday, March 10, 2010

7 days and going strong!



In follow-up to my post from yesterday morning, it looked as if we were getting pretty close to finishing fermenting in the glass carboy and could consider bottling soon. I did a close inspection last night and, much to my surprise, we're still going strong. I'll get the hydrometer today or tomorrow to confirm the status of the fermentation. Remember, if we get the same reading (specific gravity) for 3 days, it's ready to bottle. I'll most likely begin the readings today or tomorrow.

If you look at the pic, it looks like there's a large head of foam at the top. This is actually not the case and that's merely sediment (krausen) that has floated up from the bottom throughout the fermentation and is now adhering to the sides. There's very little at the liquid line other than a bit of "froth" with air bubbles poking through every now and then.

According to everything I've read so far, the beer's doing exactly what it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment